Without further ado, let me introduce you to our first Middle Grader, Miss R., incoming 4th grader, not quite a decade old, a budding author in her own right, lover of books and all things Equestria.
Her first Middle Grade Monday book is…
Title: The Wide Window
Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book #3)
Author: Lemony Snicket
Published: February 25, 2000 by HarperCollins
Format: 214 pages; Hardcover; Ebook
Miss R.’s Rating:
- What was the book about (without giving away what happens)?
The book was about three orphans living with Aunt Josephine.
- Did you enjoy this story? Why?
I enjoyed this story because the orphans have a big adventure.
- Was there a particular character that you liked the most?
The character I like is Sunny. She’s so cute, and she likes to bite stuff… hard!
- Which character did you like the least?
I did not like Count Olaf, because he’s a very bad man, and he treats the orphans meanly.
- Was there anything about the story that you didn’t like or that confused you?
What I did not like about the story is Count Olaf is still getting [trying to get] the orphans’ fortune.
- Did you learn anything from this book? Was there a moral to this story?
I learned some new phrases and words, like falling for something “hook, line and sinker.” Which means falling for something that’s not true.
The moral is: don’t risk your children’s lives for your own safety.
- Did you like the way the book ended?
Not sure. *highlight to read explanation… and potential spoiler* Because I’m happy they [the Baudelaire orphans] don’t fall into Olaf’s care, but Olaf gets away again. *end spoiler*
- Do you like the cover?
Yes. Because Lemony Snicket uses good and pretty pictures.
- Would you recommend this book to your friends?
- Draw a picture of something from the book, that does not reveal the ending.