While my other carnies are posting super awesome teaser paragraphs…I’m afraid I’m not a writer and therefore have no paragraph of my very own to share. So I’ll share some awesome paragraphs from a few Indies I’ve got waiting for me on my nightstand. Here we go!
“Be careful. Rijan’s faint thought echoed from deep in the forest where she hunted with her brother, Adamas.
I will. My thought reached to Rijan, my ingenium. I watched, rapt with admiration for my great white tiger, the other half of my soul. Her vision momentarily clouded my mind: a large buck bounding through the forest ahead and Adamas, my brother Kade’s ingenium, concealed not far distant.”
The next two I plan on reading after I finish Perception:
Mom says, “Watch the heat today.”
I nod and hug her and go to school like normal. Her concern’s nothing out of the ordinary. And neither is the heat.
At school after lunch, I walk through the breezeway, keeping my head down so the mist doesn’t get in my eyes. The vapor sprays out from above, causing a layer of green gel to settle on my skin and hair. I reach up and run my hands through my hair to try to smooth it, but the cooling gel only makes the curls get wilder; it’s no use. My clothes stick to me, and under my backpack, I’m coated in sweat. Out on the old parking lot, heat waves ripple over what remains of the black tar, only disturbed by a random cactus here and there. Still, I take my time before Social Sciences, soaking in the heat. Every other kid at school complains about it, but to me, the heat finds a way to sink into my soul and give me strength.
The screaming was the first clue that I’d turned invisible again. Above the steady roar of the river, my teammates shouted: some with paddles flailing, others frozen mid-stroke. I’d never disappeared in front of anyone. Before this, I hadn’t even known if it was real or if I was losing my grip on sanity. But now, surrounded by people who looked terrified, I knew it was real.
Which didn’t exactly comfort me.
What books are currently taking up residence on your nightstands?
And check out my fellow YA Indie Carnies:
- Fisher Amelie (Author of The Understorey)
- Allie Burke (Author of The Enchanters series)
- Heather Cashman (Author of Perception)
- Courtney Cole (Author of The Bloodstone Saga, Princess & Guardian)
- Rachel Coles (Author of Diary of a Duct Tape Zombie and other stories)
- Laura Elliott (Author of Winnemucca)
- Wren Emerson (Author of I Wish…)
- T. R. Graves (Author of The Warrior series)
- P.J. Hoover (Author of Solstice)
- Amy Maurer Jones (Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy)
- Alicia McCalla (Author of the upcoming debut novel Breaking Free)
- Tiffany King (Author of Meant To Be and its soon-to-be-released sequel Forgotten Souls)
- Patti Larsen (Author of the short story, Henry and the newly released Run)
- Michelle Leighton (Author of the Blood Like Poison series, The Reaping, Wiccan, Caterpillar, and the upcoming Madly series)
- Cheri Schmidt (Author of the Fateful series and Fair Maiden)
- Dani Snell (You are here. Book Blogger)
- Cidney Swanson (Author of Rippler)
- Cyndi Tefft (Author of Between)
- Nicole Williams (Author of Eternal Eden and the much anticipated sequel, Fallen Eden)